Friday, June 4, 2010

Stardate: June 3, 2010

So.....
I always really enjoy blogging when I have nothing really significt to say or account for.
But now that I actually have experienced something new I'm drawing a blank as to what I should share. There is too much I guess that is the problem.

So....
I have been in Highland Park, NJ for a week and a half.
I feel like things are going well. I feel good about the last week and a half.
But I'm still really trying to figure things out.
I am still trying to figure out what my role in all of this is ya know.

I guess I will start somewhere...

Church: The church I am interning at is called "The Reformed Church of Highland Park' to herby be called RCHP.
This church is pretty crazy, in the best possible sence of the word. There is so much activity, so many projects, so many committees, and passionate people it makes my head spin. I wish I could say literally...but no...but I'm still trying to figure everything out.
One of the first things someone told me to describe this church is that they are way more people on the committee for immigration (trying to work to get people out of detention centers) than their are on the fellowship committee.
They belive that when we are passionate about an issure topic or idea that is the holy spirit working. And so it is quite obvious that this new and different way that this church is becoming attuned to the holy spirits working is really shaking things up.
Thrift shop, housing those in need (veterans, girls who are aging out of foster care, in need youth ect.) immigration legislation, creation care, "A Better World Cafe" ect. ( I have not even made a dent trust me )

So the church is basically buzzing with activity every day all day.
And I am trying to start to be a part of it. Some of the things I will be working on this summer

-planning some activities for the youth group for the summer
-planning activities for 4th-6th graders (the church has never had summer activites for this age group before)
-getting involved in small ways on various church committee's ( I have to get boxes so that we can pack funitrue for some new housing)
-helping/ participating in the Transitions (20's-30's group)
-planning a 'kids carnivalish' activity to jump start VBS at the end of July
-just hanging around, expeirencing, learning, ect.

No comments:

Post a Comment