Friday, June 25, 2010

It's been a while




Hello Everyone,

Sorry, I am an epic blogging failure :)
Here is a quick update on what is going on.
Last weekend was slow around the church so I decided to make use of it and went to go and visit one of my friends from high school in Philadelphia. My first solo use of public transportation (its a 1.5 hour train ride from New Brunswick which is right over the bridge form HP). It was a successful, enjoyable trip. Minus the tragic loss of my favorite flannel shirt at the train station.
Yesterday was the last day of school for Highland Park kids so things will pick up for the summer this week and next week.
This last week we had our first events for the 4th=7th grade group called Kids in the Cave. On Tuesday night we intended to go to a Children's production of A Midsummer Night Dream but it got rained out (an outside stage). So, I went the next night with a couple church families. It was super impressive the actors were age 6-16. I love Shakespeare.
Last night we have our first full out KIC (kids in the cave) night. We had a digital camera scavenger hunt/ pizza/ ice cream party. It went pretty well. I came to the realization that I thought that feel pretty confident and comfortable working with that age group. But I have never really worked with a mixed group of boys and girls. I can handle jr./high school. But 4th graders are still into the complete distrust/separation of the genders. Which I guess is not necessarily bad. Our group was 90% girls and 2 boys. That dynamic was a struggle. For the rest of the summer activities I am going to have to factor that in. I'm glad I realized it thought. The boys a great and the girls are great. They just do not necessarily appreciate the unique greatness of one another :)

So....ya...this weekend we will be leaving for our work trip to Newark, NJ (about an hour north).....I am supposed to be in charge of planning/ coordinating this....but I still feel pretty out of the loop/clueless...so I hope and pray things will be okay..because...I just the clueless intern :) jk...plans just keep changing and changing and my head is spinning and spinning...so I update ya'll about than as it happens.

Starting next week as well I will be helping for 2-3 days a week with a creation care summer day camp that one of the church's non-profits runs...so that will be good.

I have been a little unsure what to do with myself lately do I'm glad to have a little bit more to do during the days.

-Michelle

the pictures are from our scavenger hunt last night

No comments:

Post a Comment