Thursday, July 29, 2010

Last Days in Jersey

I only have four more days in New Jersey. It is a bitter sweet feeling. I cannot belive that I have been here for two and a half months. It has gone so fast, I don't even know.

When I sit and think right now I feel like I have not really done anything, or learned anything.

Although, that is completely untrue. When time is busy and fast things become so progressive. My learning this summer has been very progressive. Meaning gradual, it has just built upon new understandings. It has been a lot of observing, experiencing, and going along with everything.

I guess the biggest thing that this progressive building of a new understanding has been learning and realizing about the work and power a church can have to bring the kingdom and real salvation to peoples lives. It has been a huge blessing to observe and be a part of this real work. The work of the theoretical things that we discussed and dreamed about in classes. I'm not trying to portray that this in the 'idealistic' church. Becuase just as any church it has it's flaws, problems, and needs. But the church community is doing work. They are dreaming and doing. That has been a huge blessing. To see and take part in the work.

So...what has been up the last week or so....well...

The youth group had an all night movie night a few days ago. We ate pizza, watched scary movies, and played old pokemon video games on N64 (soooo good!!!!). Then in the morning we went to Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast. I'm still a little tired:) but it was really fun.

This week I am helping with the teen envrionmental camp. The most enjoyable thing they did with week so far was ocean canoing in the bay. Much more difficult that normal canoing but really fun.

Last night I had dinner with one of older women from the church, Doloras. She is wonderful. But we had dinner with three of the Asylum Seekers who the church assisted in getting out of the detention center. We had a course from each of their coutries. Ghana, India, Tajekistan...it was a very unique experience.

T-minus 4 days.

-Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment